The Delaware Department of Public Safety require unarmed security guards to obtain security guard licenses. However, prior to licensing, individuals must complete a certified security guard training class provided by the state.
Upon completion of all such obligations, the said unarmed security guard license is awarded by the Delaware Department of Public Safety. These licenses are valid for two-year periods and must be valid during the time of employment. Annual classes must also be taken and successfully completed in order to keep the guard license up-to-date.
Delaware Security Guard Training Requirements
- Being 18 years of age or older
- Being hired by a licensed company or security agency
- Having no issues with current and ongoing drug tests
- Completing a fingerprint and background check
- Being a United Stated citizen or registered alien with proof of legal ability to work
- Having no convictions of felonies or crimes involving the use of illegal weapons within the last three years
- Successfully completing a 16-hour valid security guard training class by the state of Delaware with a signed form from the instructor
Additional conditions that could be of assistance include having a valid driver’s license, good physical shape involving the ability to stand for long periods of time and good verbal/communication skills.
The Security Guard Training Program
Core training subjects of the security guard training course involve:
- Role of private security
- Legal aspects
- Patrol and observation
- Incident response
- Security resources: Surveillance operation and documentation
- Customer service issues: Working with and addressing the public
- First aid overview
Note that the above are basic requirements and additional subjects can be taken and added at both the employer’s and individual guard’s discretion.
Fees include the application fee of $69.00 which is nonrefundable and the identification card fee of $20.00 following application approval.
By calling (302) 672-5304 and making an appointment after completing the security guard training course, a license can then be applied for in order to become an unarmed security guard.
Employment Statistics for Delaware Security Guards
|Area name||Employment||Hourly mean wage||Annual mean wage||Hourly median wage||Annual median wage|
SOC code: Standard Occupational Classification code
Data extracted on December 25, 2013
Visit the Delware State Police Deparment website for more information.