In order to become employed as a security guard in the state of New Jersey, registration through the state’s Superintendent is mandatory.
- Your name
- Age (must be of 18 years or older)
- Previous employers for the last 5 years
- Confirmation that you have not been convicted of any disqualifying crimes or offenses through a background check via fingerprints
If your application is approved, a mandatory security guard training course has to be taken before employment begins. The cost of such course runs about $75 and is nonrefundable. Additionally, fees for fingerprints are extra.
Obtaining your fingerprints for your criminal background check requires you to print the SAGEM MORPHO fingerprint form and a 30 Day Temporary Certificate from your application online. Next, when the information is printed, an appointment must be made at www.bioapplicant.com/nj to get your actual fingerprints taken.
A permitted 24-hour course with a teacher that is a qualified security officer instructor then has to be completed.
Security Guard Training Program Subjects
Subjects taught include:
- Homeland security and counter-terrorism
- Communications/emergency response
- Theft prevention
- Limits on the use of force
- Detention of suspects
- Ethics and professional conduct
- First aid/CPR/AED
In order to find a teacher who is a qualified security officer instructor, click the link that says “Security Officer Instructor Registry”.
|Area name||Employment||Hourly mean wage||Annual mean wage||Hourly median wage||Annual median wage|
Data extracted on December 26, 2013