In order to become a security guard in the state of Virginia, registration and security guard training are required. However, licensing is not. The Virginia Department of Criminal Justice manages the licensing process.
Requirements for Security Guard Training in Virginia
You must meet specific measures before you can be approved for a license and the company or security agency hiring the security guard is responsible for submitting the application.
- Being of 18 years of age or older
- Providing a fingerprint card
- Being mentally knowledgeable
- Having no drug or alcohol use or dependence
- Successfully passing a drug test
- Having no felony convictions
- Not being disabled to the point of not being able to perform basic duties
- Submitting to a criminal background check
- Successfully completing 18 hours of mandated security guard training
Security Guard Training Program
The basic training subjects that are within the security guard training course involve:
- Orientation (2 hours)
- Laws and Regulations
- Code of Ethics
- Role and Responsibilities
Fees include the cost for registration of $25.00 and fingerprinting cost of $50.00.
Job Statistics for Security Guards in Virginia
|Area name||Employment||Hourly mean wage||Annual mean wage||Hourly median wage||Annual median wage|
Data extracted on December 26, 2013
Contact Unarmed Security Guard Requirements in Virginia or 804-786-4700 further insight.