To become an unarmed security guard in the state of Arizona, security guard training is not a prerequisite to start an application. However, if offered an employment position requiring licensure, an 8 hour pre-assignment training course must be completed. As such, much depends on the type of company or security agency in which you are offered employment because you may or may not be required to obtain licensure.
When a License is Required and Not Required
If you are employed to or plan to work for a security guard agency that offers your security services to other companies, then a license must be obtained in order to receive income. Conversely, if you are employed to or plan to work for a proprietary company or security agency, or in other words a company or security agency that provides you with direct income to be their private security guard, then a license is not required.
Please note that a license from the Arizona Department of Public Safety Licensing Unit must be obtained before the wearing of a security guard uniform or even standing post as a security guard if you require licensure.
In order to gain your security guard license in Arizona, seven steps must be followed:
- Obtain employment by a Department of Public Safety licensed security guard agency
- The company or security agency will fill-out and authorize the employer section (Part A) of the registration application
- Complete and sign the employee section (Part B) of the registration application
- Submit your fingerprints for a criminal history check
- Submit a color and recent photograph of your face
- Successfully complete the 8 hour pre-assignment security guard training course and obtain the course verification document
- Pay $74.00 fee which covers the $50 license fee in addition to the $24.00 fingerprint processing fee
Standard Security Guard Training Program
The training included in the 8 hour pre-assignment security guard training program course involves:
- Criminal law
- Laws of arrest
- Uniform & grooming
- Use of force
- General security guard procedures
- Crime scene preservation & first response
- Emergency response procedures
Upon successful completion of the security guard training course, it is required that you have your prospective security guard employer fill-out the Security Guard Training Verification Form.
Statistics for Arizona Security Guard Jobs
|Area name||Employment||Hourly mean wage||Annual mean wage||Hourly median wage||Annual median wage|
Data extracted on December 25, 2013