In order to become an unarmed security guard in the state of New Mexico, you are obligated to obtain a license and become registered via security guard training. Three different levels of security guard training exist and within each level of training, the same conditions must be met. However, each level of security training after level one calls for additional hours of required training to be completed.
The basic qualifications that must be met for all levels of security guard training include:
- Being of 18 years of age or older (age 21 for level 3)
- Being a citizen of the United States
- Having a High school diploma or certification of equal value (Level 2 and 3)
- Having good moral standards and character
- Not being convicted of any felonies or misdemeanors having to do with violence (including domestic), drugs (use or sale), theft or fraud
- Submitting two passport style self-photographs
- Submitting two fingerprint cards given from the board office and certificate form
- Having a copy of your background history from employer
- Successfully completing security guard training courses and examinations approved by the department (Level 1, 2, and 3)
- Being employed by a private security company or security agency and under supervision from a licensed patrol officer (Level 1 and 2)
- Having a signed and notarized release of information form
Additional conditions that could be of assistance include having a valid driver’s license, being in good physical shape, having the ability to stand for extended periods of time and possessing thorough communication skills.
24-hours of training is required for level 1, 2 and 3; however, levels 2 and 3 each require an additional 24-hours of training as levels increase.
Level 1 Security Guard Training Requirements
Level 1 security guard training includes:
- Role of the security guard (1 hour)
- Basic first aid and CPR training (8 hours)
- Investigations (3 hours)
- Interview skills (2 hours)
- Preservation of evidence (2 hours)
- Asset protection (1 hour)
- Chain of command (1hour)
- Report writing (2 hours)
- Testifying in court (1 hour)
- Ethics and professionalism (3 hours)
Level 2 Security Guard Training Requirements
Level 2 security guard training includes:
- Use of force (3 hours)
- Self-defense weapons and techniques (8 hours)
- Side handle batons (4 hours)
- Hand cuffing (4 hours)
- Use of Tasers (5 hours)
Note that these courses must be completed within 12 months before applying for registration.
Level 3 Security Guard Training Requirements
Level 3 security guard training includes:
- Fire protection and life safety (4 hours)
- Threat assessment (2 hours)
- Safety awareness (1 hour)
- Environment/hazardous materials (4 hours)
- Firearms training (24 hours)
Note that these training courses (levels) must too be completed within 12 months before applying for registration.
Fees, which are nonrefundable, include the application fee of $15.00 and the background check costs of $29.95.
Job Statistics for Security Guards in New Mexico
|Area name||Employment||Hourly mean wage||Annual mean wage||Hourly median wage||Annual median wage|
Data extracted on December 26, 2013
Look up the specific instructions for Level 1, 2, and 3 Security Guard Registration or contact 505-476-4650 for further insight.